(Makes about 42)
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely ground cranberries
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine first four ingredients; beat until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally.
2. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
3. In a small bowl, combine cranberries, walnuts and orange peel; set aside.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch square; combine brown sugar and milk; spread over the dough then sprinkle with the cranberry mixture, leaving about a 1/2-inch edge at both ends of the dough; roll up tightly, jelly-roll style.
5. Wrap with waxed paper; chill several hours or overnight.
6. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
7. Cut roll into 1/4-inch slices and place on a well-greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until edges are light brown.